Follow us


Foreign plates: from 21 March they are completely legal

From March 21, driving along Italian roads with foreign license plates is absolutely legal, in compliance with European directives.

If the car incentives assigned by the government do not involve companies, major inconveniences could emerge in Italy. The discourse is not limited only to the four-wheeler market, but also to the level of revenue for the Revenue Agency. This is because many companies could take measures, deciding to circulate with foreign license plates. In fact, from 21 March it is fully legal to provide it for anyone without any restrictions, as long as they register the vehicle and keep a document on board.

In this direction there is a mixture of factors, such as the lack of raw materials and semiconductors caused by the epidemiological emergency and the war conflict. On the contrary, the prohibition of full deductibility of the Value Added Tax (VAT) which has lasted for decades does not seem a problem.

In short, the various legislative innovations and previously unthinkable events have led to the situation in which we find ourselves now.

The change of legislation

Basically, there has been a shift from a prohibition to circulate along the national territory on vehicles equipped with a foreign license plate for those who have resided in Italy for more than 60 days to a burden of registering the relative vehicle with an Italian license plate (Article 93-bis ) within a quarter. Anyone who was resident before 1 February is obliged to comply with the law from 1 May, according to circular 9868U / 2022 issued on 23 March by the Central Police Specialties Directorate.

The decisive element lies in the fact that, in the regime that has come into force, registration in our peninsula can be avoided only if the driver residing in Italy does not coincide with the owner, who is important that he is resident abroad.

In this case, the legislation is respected by keeping on board a document with a certain date signed by the owner, in which he certifies for what capacity and for how long the driver has the right to use the vehicle. If it exceeds “a period of 30 days, even if not continuous, in the calendar year”, the title and duration of the employment must be recorded in a different archive, administered by the Pra, that is to say the Reve.